A United States Capitol Police officer died Thursday evening from accidents sustained when he engaged with a pro-Trump mob that descended on the U.S. Capitol the day earlier than.

Officer Brian D. Sicknick died at about 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, the Capitol Police said in a statement. He had been with the company since 2008.

Mr. Sicknick was responding to the riots on Wednesday and “was injured whereas bodily partaking with protesters,” the company’s assertion stated, though officers didn’t instantly elaborate on the character of his accidents or how he interacted with the group. After sustaining the accidents, Mr. Sicknick returned to his division workplace, collapsed, and was taken to the hospital.

“Your entire U.S.C.P. division expresses its deepest sympathies to Officer Sicknick’s household and pals on their loss, and mourns the lack of a pal and colleague,” the assertion stated. Information shops had prematurely reported on his dying earlier within the day whereas he was apparently nonetheless on life assist.

Murder investigators from the Metropolitan Police Division are concerned within the case.

Early Friday morning, Consultant Tim Ryan of Ohio, a Democrat who runs the Home Appropriations subcommittee that oversees the finances for the Capitol Police, said in a Twitter post that his coronary heart was breaking over Mr. Sicknick’s dying.

“This tragic loss is a reminder of the bravery of the regulation enforcement who defend us each day,” Mr. Ryan wrote.

Mr. Sicknick’s dying brings the dying toll from Wednesday’s mayhem to 5. One of many individuals collaborating within the pro-Trump rampage, Ashli Babbitt, was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer inside the building as she climbed by way of a damaged window resulting in the Speaker’s Foyer. Three different individuals died after experiencing obvious medical emergencies within the space across the Capitol, the police stated.

Officers have stated that some 50 cops had been injured because the mob swarmed barricades, threw objects, battered doorways, smashed home windows and overwhelmed a few of the officers who tried to withstand the advancing crowd.

Capitol Police reported 14 arrests throughout the incursion, together with two individuals who had been detained for assaulting a police officer. Native police arrested dozens of others, largely for illegal entry and violations of the town’s Wednesday evening curfew.

Steven Sund, the Capitol Police chief, handed in his resignation on Thursday after going through stress from congressional leaders. The sergeants-at-arms of the Home and Senate additionally resigned.